Things to do
Get Going

Historic Sites & Sights

* Open to the public

Bingham, Judge John (Private Home)

  • 621 14th Avenue
  • Monroe, WI 53566

A classic Greek revival home built for the county's first attorney and Monroe's first elected Judge - John A. Bingham. The home was built based on plans of the family home in Vermont.

Bintliff, General James (Private Home)

  • 723 18th Avenue
  • Monroe, WI 53566

Barge boards and nine-foot windows adorn this cross gabled brick structure of Victorian Gothic design. Mr. Bintliff was editor of the Monroe Sentinel in 1860.

Blumer, Dr. Samuel (Private Home)

  • 112 6th Avenue
  • New Glarus, WI 53574

Brodhead Depot *

Housed in a restored railroad depot, with adjacent locomotive and caboose. Exhibits include local history, railroad memorabilia, cheese and butter making equipment, antique milking machines, and community band memorabilia. Beginning Memorial Day weekend - open Wed, Sat, Sun and holidays through Sept. 29.

Chenoweth, Frank L. (Private Home)

  • 2004 10th Street
  • Monroe, WI 53566

This San Francisco style architecture home was built in 1887 by Frank Chenoweth. The home was the first in Monroe to receive electricity. A balastraded veranda and carriage house to the rear remain unchanged.

Cleveland's Hall and Blacksmith Shop *

  • Attica (Town of Brooklyn), WI

Located in the former village of Attica, this recently restored two-story building was built in 1873 as a blacksmith shop for David C. Heathman. In 1883, Benjamin K. Cleveland purchased the building. He took over operation of the blacksmith shop and opened the second floor as a dance hall and performance space called "Cleveland's Hall." He continued to operate the blacksmith shop and dance hall until 1899, when the Modern Woodmen of America purchased the building. The Woodmen, a fraternal order, used the second story as their lodge hall for meetings, and continued Cleveland's tradition of offering it to the general public for other uses. The building is now home to Franklin Grove Etc - an antique store and restaurant.

Exchange Square Historic District *

  • Downtown Brodhead
  • Brodhead, WI 53502

First Methodist Church/Monroe Arts Center (MAC) *

Home to the Monroe Arts Center (MAC), this Victorian High Gothic Church and the nearby parsonage were designed by Edward Townsend Mix, a Wisconsin architect. It was placed on the National Register in 1975. 

MAC was recognized with a Wisconsin Historical Marker in 2009.  The marker was made possible through a grant from the Woman’s Club of Monroe.

Freitag Pure Oil Service Station (Business) *

  • 1323 Ninth Street
  • Monroe, WI 53566

Green County Courthouse *

  • 1016 - 16th Ave.
  • Monroe, WI 53566
  • 608.328.9430

Self-guided tour brochure available. The building is open weekdays 8 am - 4:30 pm. Call the Green County Tourism office at 608.328.1838 for guided tours for larger groups.

Green County Historical Society Museum *

The Green County Historical Society Museum is housed in the former Universalist Church that was built in 1861. The building was used to store wheat and wool during the Civil War. The musuem is open June 6 through September 6, 2009 on Saturdays and Sundays from 1 - 4 pm. The Museum includes an archive with letters, papers, and newspaper articles of historical interest about Green County including obituaries, antique books, and pictures of our ancestors and items used in their daily lives. There is also the original Bethel one-room schoolhouse on the Museum grounds.

Green County Jail (Jailhouse Tap)*

  • 1404 - 12th St.
  • Monroe, WI 53566

The original Green County Jail is now home to a tavern. Many years ago it started on fire, and it is rumored that beer from the brewery next door was used to extinguish the flames.

Hurlburt, C.D. (Private Home)

  • 1205 13th Avenue
  • Monroe, WI 53566

This French Second Empire style home was built in 1870. A huge ginko tree, the largest recorded in Wisconsin, graces the front lawn.

Imobersteg Farmstead Cheese Factory *

Open April 1 - October 31, daily 9 am - 4 pm. Discover the legacy of cheesemaking in Green County. Visit the National Historic Cheesemaking Center (see the additional listing under Museums) and the Imobersteg Farmstead Cheese Factory: step back into the late 1800's into an authentic cheese factory relocated from an area farm where it sat untouched since 1917. All the original equipment can be viewed in this factory that was once used for producing Brick, Swiss, and Limburger cheese using the milk from the 40 cows at the Imobersteg Farm, just over the border into Illinois.

Jennings, Janet (Private Home)

  • 612 22nd Avenue
  • Monroe, WI 53566

Author and Civil War nurse Janet Jennings lived in this 1860 Frame Four Square. Miss Jennings went to Washington in May of 1863 to care for wounded soldiers, and it is believed she met President Lincoln at this time.

Lincoln Park Water Tower

  • Intersection of 16th Ave. and 20th St.
  • Monroe, WI 53566

1889 Water Tower, added to the National Register for historic and architectural significance. For more information: Donna Glynn at 608.325.5351

Milwaukee Road Depot/New Glarus Chamber *

Depot is home to the New Glarus Chamber of Commerce and serves as the headquarters of the Sugar River Trail

Monroe Commercial District * (Main Street Monroe)

Monroe's Court House Square is a large midwest commercial square that grew into its present form during the decade of 1870 - 1910. Architectural styles include Italianate, Queen Anne, Romanesque, and Beaux Arts.

National Historic Cheesemaking Center *

Open April 1 - October 31, daily 9 am - 4 pm.

Discover the legacy of cheesemaking in Green County.  Housed in a restored railroad depot (years ago the freight room was often filled with Green County cheese awaiting rail tranport to areas all over the United States); the center features cheesemaking equipment, dairy farming heritage, cheese factory replicas, railroad memorabilia, and local history. Excellent 10-minute audio tour gives an overview of the museum displays; docents are also available for personalized tours and questions.

On site is the Imobersteg Farmstead Cheese Factory:  step back into the late 1800's into an authentic cheese factory relocated from an area farm where it sat untouched since 1917.  All the original equipment can be viewed in this factory that was once used for producing Brick, Swiss, and Limburger cheese using the milk from the 40 cows at the Imobersteg Farm.

Also on site - a renovated ribside caboose.

Puempel's Olde Tavern *

Established in 1893, with original back bar. Check out the folk art wall murals that were painted by a traveling artist back in 1913.

Regez, Jacob (Private Home)

  • 2121 7th St.
  • Monroe, WI 53566

Architect Fridolin Heer designed this 1901 home, which replaced the original 1884 structure destroyed by fire during a lightning storm. The interior features oak, cyprus, and sycamore woodwork, leaded and stained glass windows.

Swiss Historic Village *

Open daily from 10 am - 4 pm (May - October). Admission charged. Replica of a Swiss village including traditional Swiss Bee House, Cheese Factory, School, Church, Blacksmith Shop, Print Shop, Smoke House, Sausage Shop, and General Store.

Turner Hall *

Established in 1868 by Swiss and German immigrants - a few short years after the Civil War - the Turner Hall of Monroe is believed to be the only Turner (gymnast) Hall of Swiss origin left in the United States.

The original structure, located on the same site as the current building, burned to the ground in 1936. The present structure, a Swiss Emmental chalet designed by German architect, Max Hanisch, opened in 1938 and is listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places. Often referred to as "the opera house" in its earlier years, Turner Hall has historically been the site of a wide array of community events, in addition to being a place where Swiss heritage has been, and continues to be, cherished and nurtured.

West, General Francis H. (Private Home)

  • 1410 17th Avenue
  • Monroe, WI 53566

This octagon style home was built by architect Orsen Fowler for General Francis H. West in 1860. The home features inlaid parquetry, three winding grand staircases, natural air conditioning, and an enclosed cupula.