Mural, Mural on the Wall.
The walls of Puempel’s Olde Tavern are as important to the ambiance of this historic establishment as the original back-bar itself. Puempel’s was first established by Joe and Bertha Puempel as a boarding house for railroad workers. In 1913, four detailed murals depicting scenes from Switzerland were painted on the walls by traveling artist Albert Struebin. He worked for six months; trading his craft for a warm bed and a home-cooked meal.
Joe and Bertha passed the business on to their son Otto, who retired at age 88. Now just third on the list of proprietors, current owners Chuck and Lessia Bigler continue the tradition of welcoming both travelers and workers to pull a stool up to the bar.